Sign in
Download Opera News App

Sports

 

Soccer

 

AFCON

PSL Football calle doff, for now!

The South African football calendar seems to have come to an end this past weekend- at least for now. The PSL went on with Nedbank cup games on the weekend, and that raised a lot of eyebrows -both domestically and internationally.

The President of the republic Cyril Ramaphosa then announced on Sunday some of the measures the state will be taking to safeguard all South Africans against the virus. One of those was the prohibition of meetings involving one hundred or more people- that was always going to directly affect sporting events. as a result, Premier Soccer League Chairman DR Irvin Khoza announced that PSL games for the coming week have been suspended immediately.

''As the most important measure. The Executive committee this afternoon resolved that The games played Tomorrow and Wednesday are all suspended, and that games in the weekend also are suspended. That there'll be an urgent meeting of the executive committee and the board of governors on Thursday the 19th we will be discussing these issues.'' Said Dr. Khoza.

The ban begins with games between Mamelodi Sundows and Orlando Pirates at Loftus on Tuesday, as well as the Kaizer Chiefs vs Bidvest Wits match 24 hours later. Both these matches had the potential of deciding where the ABSA Premiership title goes. Chiefs currently lead the table by four points ahead of Sundowns, and Dr. Khoza did not want to speak about the long term decision, as they still need to meet the Sports Minister and the club at large.

This PSL decision was proceeded by the statement from the South African Football Association statement that suggested that they had recommended that all football events be halted. ''Following on our statement of last week in which we had indicated that it was not necessary to postpone or suspend the domestic football program at that stage, circumstances have changed drastically for the worse. The government has called on all stakeholders to take all necessary steps to prevent the spread of the virus.

On behalf of the National Executive Committee of the South African Football Association (SAFA), all members of SAFA are advised to suspend and/or postpone all football matches and football events that are attended by more 100 people in the country until further notice'' Said SAFA Acting CEO Mr. Gay Mokoena.


There seems to be a general belief that playing behind closed doors will not reduce the spread of the virus, but only time will tell what the board of directors and club owners decide on come Thursday afternoon. SA follows in the footsteps of Ghana and Morocco as some African countries that have canceled all football activity-albeit for a short while.

Content created and supplied by: ClementNemah (via Opera News )

Cyril Ramaphosa DR Irvin Khoza Nedbank Orlando Pirates PSL

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments