With the 2020/21 campaign now in full swing, African club rankings on the continent have since been revealed, with both Mamelodi Sundowns and Orlando Pirates making significant moves, while struggling Kaizer Chiefs, who have shown no signs of progress since losing out on the league title at the end of last season, have plummeted down the list.
The defending PSL champions Sundowns have now closed in on securing a top five spot, while Soweto giants Pirates have continued to make progress on the African rankings by leapfrogging their fiercest rivals Chiefs who are now close to dropping out of the top 20.
Masandawana, who are co-coached by Manqoba Mnqithi, Rulani Mokoena and Steve Komphela, and have for the longest time been ranked higher than any South African club, have moved from ninth position to number six.
Pirates, who were for the longest time placed behind Chiefs in 18th spot, have now overtaken their nemesis Chiefs and have now made it to 16th place. It's no surprise to see the Buccaneers move up the rankings after they found their form again this season and have already booked their spot in the MTN8 cup final this season after eliminating Chiefs.
Amakhosi have hugely been impacted by the transfer ban imposed by FIFA for the next two transfer windows, and their challenging start to their 2020/21 campaign, have seen them fall from 17th position to 19th.
According to the system on footballdatabase.com, here are the rankings of the top 20 clubs in Africa, as at November 2020:
1. Al Ahly - Egypt (1703 points)
2. Esperance de Tunis - Tunisia (1631 points)
3. TP Mazembe - Congo DR (1589 points)
4. El Zamalek - Egypt (1586 points)
5. Al-Merreikh - Sudan (1551 points)
6. Mamelodi Sundowns FC - South Africa (1547 points)
7. Al Hilal Omdurman - Sudan (1545 points)
8. Etoile du Sahel - Tunisia (1543 points)
9. CS Sfaxien - Tunisia (1519 points)
10. Vita Club - Congo DR (1517 points)
11. Wydad Casablanca - Morocco (1513 points)
12. Dynamos - Zimbabwe (1506 points)
13. 1º de Agosto - Angola (1506 points)
14. RCA Raja Casablanca Athletic - Morocco (1504 points)
15. Stade Malien Bamako - Mali (1490 points)
16. Orlando Pirates - South Africa (1476 points)
17. Djoliba AC - Mali (1463 points)
18. Coton Sport - Cameroon (1458 points)
19. Kaizer Chiefs - South Africa (1456 points)
20. Atletico Petro Luanda - Angola (1452 points)
Content created and supplied by: CliffThudinyane (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More