Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society


Crime Justice



2 Most Unbelievable Prison Escapes


The majority of people who break out of prison do it while on labor duty or during an authorized furlough. Within days, they are usually apprehended.

Others, on the other hand, are significantly more elaborate. While the crimes that land offenders in jail are unlikely to be celebrated, some of their prison escapes may be.

1. The Alcatraz Prison Break in 1962

Guards at Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary made a surprising discovery on the morning of June 12, 1962. Frank Morris, John and Clarence Anglin, and other inmates had escaped.

On June 11, 1962, the trio escaped Alcatraz, only a year before the jail closed permanently. However, Morris had been in charge of the project for months.

Morris, a career burglar and armed robber, was one of Alcatraz's sharpest inmates. They stole spoons and saw blades and worked almost a year extending the ventilation ducts in each of their cells, with Morris playing his accordion to drown out the evening racket.

During the day, they covered the ducts with cardboard that matched the cell wall color. They stored a six-by-14-foot inflatable raft constructed of raincoats in the ducts that went to a utility tunnel. They had built papier-mâché dummy heads and left them poking out of their jail beds, which was the most ingenious of all.

When the moment arrived, West was left behind after failing to remove the ventilation duct grill. It had just become stuck due to a stroke of luck. In the meantime, Morris and the Anglins arrived to the utility tunnel, got their raft, slid down a pipe from the prison roof — and snuck to the beach to inflate their raft.

While the FBI decided in 1979 that all three men perished, not everyone is convinced, especially the Anglin brothers' two sisters, who claimed in 2012 that Clarence had called them as a free man.

2. The Prison Escape Of Leonard Rayne Moses

Rayne, Leonard Moses was just 16 years old when he took part in the 1968 Pittsburgh riots following the killing of Martin Luther King, Jr. He tossed Molotov cocktails at the home of local Mary Amplo on April 6, and she died a few months later from pneumonia induced by her burns. Moses was charged with murder in the first degree.

Moses, 15, was found guilty by a jury of eight women and four men after only an hour of deliberation. He was condemned to life in prison with no prospect of parole. In 1971, his lawyers managed to get the matter before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in the desperate hope of overturning the conviction.

Moses' lawyers contended that any confession he made to authorities should be kept secret.

They claimed that the adolescent was far too young to understand the consequences of waiving his Miranda rights, let alone recognize that he might have incriminated himself by speaking to police without an attorney after his arrest.

Moses eventually made the decision to take matters into his own hands. Despite the Supreme Court's decision that he deserved a new trial, Moses decided not to take any chances and instead used a temporary leave of absence to avoid a traditional prison escape. He vanished after being allowed to attend his grandmother's funeral.

Moses was accompanied by two police officers to the Nazarene Baptist Church in Pittsburgh's Homewood area on July 1, 1971. Moses, on the other hand, managed to dodge them and flee.

On July 12, a federal arrest warrant was issued, but Moses remained at large for the next 50 years.

The FBI had suspected Moses used an alias, but it wasn't until he was caught in Michigan that they found it was Paul Dickson. Moses was caught for stealing 80 hydrocodone pills while working as a pharmacist, and officials were able to match his fingerprints to those from the 1968 case.

Content created and supplied by: CapeNews (via Opera News )



Load app to read more comments