From South Africa or Zimbabwe, more cars and illegal cigarettes are being brought into the country. Thembi Hadebe, the head of the police in Limpopo, is worried about the smuggling at the Beitbridge border.
A plan to stop crime has been put in place.
Hadebe helped stop crime on the N1 highway between Musina and the Beitbridge border post. She said that the goal of the operation is to cut down on smuggling. A campaign to stop crime was run by the police and other law enforcement agencies in Musina and the area around the Beitbridge border post. The campaign was started because the number of goods that were being smuggled into the country was going up. Things like cars that have been stolen are among the goods.
From South Africa, goods are being smuggled in.
It has been said that the goods are being smuggled across the border from South Africa into Zimbabwe. Hadebe also noticed that there were roadblocks at the border post to stop people from smuggling things.
"The goal of these roadblocks is to stop people from crossing illegally from us to Zim and from Zim to us. All stolen vehicles that cross the river do so illegally, and there is a lot of illegal cigarette traffic on this road. A $3 million Mercedes-Benz that was trying to cross the border was taken away."
she told me.
Taxi drivers don't like how the Beitbridge border works.
SABC News says that taxi drivers have said they are worried about the stop and search operations. They think that this project is making their businesses worse. Eric Ndadza says that when things like this are done to stop crime, the number of commuters goes down. "This operation is causing us a lot of trouble because we can't go to Joburg. When the police show up at the taxi stand, our customers run away and hide in the bush."
Through the stop and search operations, more than 100 people have been arrested for a wide range of reasons.
Beitbridge Border: SIU confirms that COVID-19 contracts didn't make sense.
The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) has weighed in on the investigation into controversial Department of Public Works projects at the Beitbridge Border. In a statement released on Tuesday, the unit confirmed that two companies had lost the more than R40 million in profits they had made from contracts.
As part of the national government's plan to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, the contracts had been given out. But the tenders quickly became well-known when it became clear that the fences weren't built well. The SIU also found out that more than half of the money for building the fence at the Beitbridge Border had been paid to the contractors in advance.
Content created and supplied by: Sphithiphithi_Evaluator (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More