Five looters who perished in a fire have been identified, but seven remain missing
There is relief and closure for some of the families whose relatives burnt to death in the Tembisa Plaza during the July unrest and looting, after DNA testing positively identified five of the victims.
Shenky Padima, Pholane Ndlovu, Melusi Sibiya, Ntombifuthi Dladla and Thandeka Nkambule all perished when a gas cylinder exploded. The explosion ignited a fire which spread across several buildings. Some people became trapped in a Shoprite store and were burnt beyond recognition.
On Sunday the heartbroken but relieved families organised a joint memorial service for the victims, which was attended mainly by friends and family members.
The five families said they were happy to have found their relatives, but seven other families are still searching for their loved ones.
Reports spoke to some of the families – those who found their relatives and those who are still searching.
Nomthandazo Masungu, whose son Pholani was among the deceased, said it is a story that has ended in tears, but she is happy that she will finally be able to bury her son.
Nomthandazo said at first, she didn’t believe that her son had perished in the fire.
“I hoped that Pholani was still alive,” she said.
“I went to about 17 sangomas and spent more than R10,000 trying to locate my son. They all promised that my son was alive and they needed more money to bring him back home.”
Nomthandazo remembers that she nearly lost her own life when gunmen chased her after one of the sangomas pointed to a shack claiming that her son had been made a slave and was held in a particular shack.
“I’ve been through a lot. I’m happy it’s over,” she added.
Thembelihle Vilakazi told reporters that her son Siyabonga was burnt beyond recognition.
“I am thankful the results are positive and I can take my son to his final resting place,” said Thembelihle.
Cremildo Rodrigues says he believes that his wife Silvia is still buried in the wreck at the Plaza which has not yet been cleared.
“The police say the missing case docket has been closed after all the people who were at the mortuary were identified. What about us who have not found them and there are no more burnt people at the mortuary?” he said.
“My wife is still at the Tembisa Plaza’s Shoprite. I want the government to clean that place so that I can bury her and find closure.”
Your thoughts are highly recommended in the comments section below
Please share and follow for more
Content created and supplied by: TEXASbois (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More