What is a Promise?
Human beings as a species sometimes toss around the word “promise” very loosely. We as human beings may have even made promises to our loved ones and later let them down by not keeping those promises. We also have been disappointed by others in our lives who may have promised something to us, only to find some time later that those promises were not honored.
In short, a promise is a declaration or assurance that one will do something or that a particular thing will happen, a word of honor if you will. Unlike us humans, when it comes to God, He always honors His promises.
What do I mean by “Pray the promises of God?”
There are two words that are very authoritative when mentioned in prayer and these words are “you said”. In Genesis Chapter 31 verse 2, God made a promise to Jacob. That promise is a faith-giving promise in the Scripture “I will be with you”. Then later, when faced with sorrow and trepidation, Jacob wept out to God in prayer and reminded God of His promise to him. Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O LORD who said to me ‘Return to your country and to your kindred, that I may do you good.’” (Gen 32:12, 32:9). In the scripture we find Jacob using the key words ‘you said to me you will’, and indeed he was redeemed for all the promises of God are ‘yes’ in Him (2 Cor 1:20). Attaching God’s promises to prayer is the backbone of all faith-filled praying, the key to fruition on our prayers.
Before we even get to the promises of God, the starting point would be understanding the pre-requisites. A pre-requisite can be simply defined as a thing that is required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist. This means that we must first understand what conditions God put forth for us to obey before we can access His abundancy.
Below is a list of basic or minimum “must haves/must do’s” – Pre-requisites
1. Be honest - Honesty is a key to favor. Joseph found favor with Potiphar because he could be trusted.
2. Get Wisdom - Wisdom is a key to favor. As Solomon makes clear in the Book of Proverbs. “For those who find me find life and receive favor from the Lord.” (Proverbs 8:35)
3. Be humble/have humility - God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5)
4. Seek righteousness – A good example is that of Noah, being righteous and blameless is a key to finding favor.
5. Be faithful - Noah found favor with God due to his faithfulness. He walked faithfully with God and that led to favor.
6. Hate what God hates - As you make a stand for God and His causes His favour is released upon you, But you have this in your favor: “You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.” (Revelation 2:6).
Below are relevant scriptures that you need to recite or quote when praying, these promises are for different needs:
God keeps His promises
- God is not a man that he should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind (Num.23:19); Heb.10:23; Isa.46:11; Ps.89:34-36; Isa.30:18
God listens to our prayer
- For the Eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His Ears are attentive to their prayer (1 Pet.3:12) Ps.34:17; 1 John 5:14; 2 Cron.16:9; Ps.4:4; Ps.102:17.
God answers our prayer
- Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear (Isa.65:24). Jer.33:3; Mark 11:24; John 16:24; John 15:7; Isa.58:9; Eph.3:20; Matt.7:7
Promises about financial and material provision
- Consider the ravens; They do not sow or reap, they have no store room or barn yet God fees them and how much more valuable you are than birds! (Luke 12:24) Phil.4:19; Luke 11:9; Ps.84:11-12; Matt.6:32: Ps.37:3,25; Luke 12:30-31; Luke 6:38
Promises about salvation
- For God did not send His Son into the World to condemn it but to save the World through Him (John 3:17). Rom.10:9-10; 10:13; Eph.2:8-9; 1 Tim.2:3-4; Heb.6:18
Promises about new life
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation, the old has gone the new has come! (2 Cor.5:17) John 10:10; 1 Pet.2:24; Gal.2:20; Rom.6:4; 1 John 3:9; 2 Cor.3:18; Ezek.36:26
Promises about freedom
- Then you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free... So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed (John 8:32,36) Rom.6:14,22; Rom.8:1-2; 2 Cor.3:17; Acts 13:38
Promises about forgiveness
- If we confess our sins, He is Faithful and Just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9) Ps.32:1-2; Isa.43:25; Ps.103:12; 1 John 2:12; Eph.1:7; Rom.8:33.
Promises about justification
- God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God (2 Cor.5:21) Rom.8:10; 1 Cor.1:30; Rom.3:21-22; Rom.4:4-5; Rom.5:17.
Promises about the Holy Spirit
- If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give The Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13) Isa.44:3; John 14:16-17; John 16:7; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:38-39 Gal.4:6; Gal.3:14; 1 John 4:13; Matt.3:11; Ezek.36:27; Eph.1:13
Promises about faith in God
- Think of yourself... in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you (Rom.12:3) Eph.2:8; Heb.11:6; James 1:3; 1 Pet.1:7; Rom.1:17; 1 John 5:4; Mark 9:23; Eph.6:16; John 20:29; Matt.21:21-22; John 16:24
Promises about The Word
- All Scripture is God-Breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Tim.3:16-17) 1 Pet.1:25; Isa.40:8; Matt.4:4; Deut.29:29; Jos.1:8; Isa.55:11; Heb.4:12.
Promises about protection from the Evil One
- But The Lord is Faithful and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one (2 Thess.3:3) 2 Tim.4:18; Col.1:13; Col.2:15; 1 John 5:18; Rom.8:38,39; Ps.91:9-13; Heb.2:14-15
Promises about His presence
- And surely, I am with you always to the very end of the age (Matt.28:20) Isa.43:5; James 4:8; John 14:15-16; Matt.18:20; Ps.23:4; Heb.13:5
Promises about Spiritual growth
- Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Phil.1:6) John 17:18-19; 2 Pet.1:3-4; 2 Cor.3:18; 1 Cor.1:8; Eph.3:17-19; Phil.1:9-10
Promises about Spiritual gifts
- God's gifts and His call are irrevocable (Rom.11:29) Rom.12:5-8
Promises about the Truth
- When the Counsellor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of Truth who goes out from the Father, He will testify about Me (John 15:26) John 8:31-32; John 16:3; Eph.5:9
Promises about the Love of God
- But God demonstrates His own Love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Rom.5:8) Jer.31:3; Isa.54:10; 1 John 4: 9-10; John 15:9; 1 John 3:1
Promises about joy
- I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete (John 15:11) Ps.16:11; Rom.14:17; Isa.55:12; Isa.35:10
Promises about the Peace of God
- But He was pierced for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed (Isa.53:5) John 14:27; Rom.5:1; Phil.4:7 Rom.5:22
Promises about the Hope of the Christian
- For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope (Rom.15:4) Col.1:27; 1 Pet.1:3; Heb.6:18-19; Rom.5:2; Rom.15:13
Promises about eternal Life
- For God so loved the World that He gave His One and Only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal Life (John 3:16) 1 John 2:25; Rom.6:23; John 10:27-28; John 5:24; 1 John 5:11-13
Promises about the Second Coming of Christ
- In my Father's House are many rooms; if it were not so I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you I will Come Back and take you to be with Me (John 14:2-3) John 14:28; Acts 1:11; 1 Thess.4:16-17; Col.3:4; Heb.9:28; Rev.1:7
Promises about Heaven
- I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of Heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud Voice from the Throne saying: "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people and God Himself will be with them and be their God (Rev.21:2-3) 1 Pet.1:4-5; 2 Pet.1:10-11; 2 Pet.3:13; Luke 23:43
God promises power
- He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak (Isa.40:29) Ps.29:11; Isa.26:4; Neh.8:10; Eph.6:10; Phil.4:13; Isa.58:11
We can trust in God
- Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared (Prov.3:25-26) Prov.14:26; Isa.30:15; 1 John 3:21; 1John 5:14-15
God promises wisdom
- To the man who please Him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness (Eccl.2:26) Prov.2:6-7; Prov.9:10; Job 12:13; Dan.2:20-22; 1 Cor.1:30;
The Lord will teach us
- He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His Way. All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of His covenant (Ps.25:8- 10) Ps.25:12-14; Ps.32:8; 2 Tim.3:16-17; Prov.15:33
The Lord will guide us
- Whether you turn to the right or to the left your ears will hear a Voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it" (Isa.30:21) Ps.48:14; Ps.23:1,3; Ps.139:9-10
The Lord will make us prosperous
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. (Prov.3:5-6) Jos.1:8; 2 Chron.20:20; Prov.16:3; 2 Cor.3:5b; 1 Chron.22:12-13
God will comfort us
- Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted (Matt.5:4) 2 Cor.1:3-4; 2 Thess.2:16-17; Isa.49:13; John 14:18
God will give us the desires of our heart
- May He give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed (Ps.20:4) Ps.21:2; Prov.10:24; Ps.103:4-5; Mark 11:24
Promises about the family of the believer
- The Lord blesses the house of the righteous (Prov.3:33) Prov.12:7; Deut.12:28; Isa.54:13; Ps.112:1-3; Prov.22:6; Ps.128:1,3; Deut.4:40; Eph.6:2-3
Promises about health and healing
- By His wounds we are healed (Isa.53:5c) Jer.30:17; Deut. 7:12,15; Ps.91:5-6,10; 3 John 1:2; Jer.33:6; Ex.15:25-26; Ps.103:3; Mal.4:2; 1 Pet.2:24; James 5:13-14,16; Matt.8:16-17
Promises about the protection of God
- The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe (Prov.18:10) 1 Sam.2:9; Ps.125: 1-2; Ps.91:3-4,11-12; Ps.34:19-20; Ps.121:1-8; Prov.29:25
Promises about practical physical needs
- And my God will meet all your needs according to His Glorious Riches in Christ Jesus (Phil.4:19) Matt.6:25-26,31-33; Deut.28:1,11,12; Luke 12:30-31; Deut.29:9; Ps.111:5; Isa.1:19; Zech.10:1; Lev.26:3-5
Promises for times of fear and doubt
- So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My Righteous Right Hand (Isa.41:10) Isa.41:13; Isa.43:1; 2 Tim.1:7; Luke 12:6-7; 1 John 4:18; Rom.4:21; Ps.112:7; Isa.58:9
Promises for times of depression
- Why are you downcast O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him my Savior and my God (Ps.43:5) Ps.73:26; Ps.37:23-24; Ps.34:4- 7; Isa.49:15; Heb.13:5
Promises in times of failure and helplessness
- Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; Trust also in Me (John 14:1) Isa.61:1-3; Ps.147:3; Rom.8:28; Isa.41:13; 2 Cor.12:9; Rom.8:26; Heb.13:6; 1 John 4:4
Promises in times of anxiety
- If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith...Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself (Matt.6:30,34) Phil.4:6-7; Luke 12:25-26; 1 Pet.5:6-7; Gal.5:1; Matt.11:28-30.
Promises in time of temptation and demonic attacks
- No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is Faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it (1 Cor.10:13) 2 Pet.2:7-9; Heb.4:14- 16; 1 Thess.5:22-24; James 4:7; Gal.1:3-4; Rom.16:20; John 16:33; 1 John 4:4
Promises in suffering, difficulties, and attacks from people
- The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; He is their stronghold in time of trouble. The Lord helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them because they take refuge in Him (Ps.37:39-40) James 1:12; Rom.5:3; 1 Pet.1:4-7; Jer.15:21; Ps.27:1-2; 1 Pet.3:9; Rom.8:31; Ex.14:13-14; Matt.5:10-12
Content created and supplied by: DigiWorld (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More