Mzansi President, Cyril Ramaphosa, means business with uprooting corruption and officials are feeling the heat. On Tuesday the ANC dropped a hot bombshell on these corrupt officials. As the clock ticks down for parties to register their councillor candidates with the IEC, ANC insiders say the party has already beaten the clock. The ANC says it has removed several people from its councillor candidates' lists for the forthcoming local government elections in line with its step aside rule. No corrupt official will taste leadership in the ruling party.
The governing party submitted its lists of councillor candidates before 5pm on Tuesday as required by the Electoral Commission (IEC). This after the ANC failed to do that during the commission’s initial deadline on 23 August.
The step aside rule is surely frustrating leaders in the governing party. It took Covid-19 for the ANC to finally introspect, face its rot and its promises to cleanse itself of tainted and corrupt leaders. In August last year, after President Cyril Ramaphosa’s spokesperson, Khusela Diko, had to take special leave after allegations of corruption linked to personal protective equipment (PPE) at the height of the pandemic. That's when the ANC opened its eyes and top officials like suspended SG, Ace Magashule, felt the heat big time.
The step taken by ANC to remove the candidates has however angered the affected candidates. Seven disgruntled ANC members and councillor hopefuls, including current councillors, went to court on Tuesday claiming their names had been removed from the party’s candidates’ list. However, the judge told them they were too late to approach the court and nothing will be done for them.
Meanwhile, ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte says over 45 % of the party's candidates for the forthcoming local government elections are women. Duarte added that ANC is pleased with LGBTIQ+, youth, women councillor candidates.
Content created and supplied by: Mmapula (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More