What is the Analysis of Corruption Trends ( ACT) as reported by Corruption watch, states embezzlement, procurement irregularities, bribery, and stolen resources are the most common forms of Corruption in South Africa.
By 2010 it was reported by trade union solidarity that "R700 million was lost due to corruption during the two decades following the dawn of democracy "
It is impossible to quantify the actual extent of Corruption in South Africa as much of the corruption takes place unnoticed and unpunished.
There are even more incidents of Corruption in South Africa that exceed Nkandla.
Beyond Nkandla, the other top Seven scandals are...
- During 2013/14, nearly 60% of the auditees had material findings concerning uncompetitive and unfair procurement processes and these findings were also the main cause of the irregular expenditure of R11.352 billion.
2. The cabinet and parliament
- In 2006, prominent ANC LPs such as Nathi Mthethwa, Lindiwe Sisulu, Ruth Bengu, and Humphrey Mmemezi as well as EFF LPs such as Dali Mpofu and Julius Malema Have all were implicated in irregular and corruption practices.
3. Home affairs
-A 2015 report showed that the Marabastad refugee office in Pretoria is a hotbed of corruption and bribery and is one of the most corrupt Home Affairs offices in South Africa.
- Since the hotline's inception in 2004, a report analysis of the complaints lodged with the National Anti-Corruption hotline stated that corruption at the Department of Home Affairs took fourth place, with 785 cases reported.
4. The Metro police / The SAPS
- It is not surprising to find South African Police brutalizing, soliciting, and accepting bribes from the innocent citizens they are meant to protect.
- Wealthy Criminals bribe police officers to thwart cases against them while poor people are denied justice because of less wealth.
- " between 2009 and 2011 more than 184 out of 2,700 officers at the Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) were probed for corruption ".
5. False qualifications
- No scandal of this was bigger than the one surrounding former Art and Culture minister and struggle stalwart Pallo Jordan. It was established in 2004 that Jordan lied about obtaining his Ph.D. and has no tertiary qualifications whatsoever.
- A report compiled by Eskom and G9 Forensic found that the two consulting firms including Gupta owned Trillian made R1.6 billion (US$120 million) in fees with an additional R7.8 billion made from contracts.
An investigation done by the amaBhungane Center for Investigative Journalism found that the Gupta family had received contracts worth R11.7 billion from Eskom to supply coal between 2014 and 2017. Eskom was pressurized to sign the first coal supply contracts with Gupta-owned entities by then-President Jacob Zuma.
7. SOUTH AFRICAN SOCIAL SERVICES AGENCY
- During the 2013 financial year alone, a total of 1 846 cases have been captured on the fraud case Management System of SASSA.
" Although investigations of this nature may sometimes drag, she was pleased that they have moved with speed to finalize 841 of these cases, " The minister said.
If you believe you have credible information that is linked to any fraud or corruption you can pass this information to these agencies through their hotlines and emails:
• South African Anti-Corruption hotline:
0800 43 43 73
• Special Investigating Unit Whistle-blower Hotline:
0800 037 774
Email: [email protected]
• Presidential hotline:
Email: [email protected]
Content created and supplied by: Scamtho&hubblysessions (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More