Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Politics

 

Politics

 

Africa politics

Talk of a crisis in the secretary-general's office is premature - ANC

Despite deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte's hospitalization this week, the ANC maintains confident that there is no crisis in the party's secretary-office. general's. Additionally, it has been almost nine months since the secretariat's office was left without a permanent head after the suspension of Secretary-General Ace Magashule. As a result, the secretariat's responsibilities, which had fallen on Duarte for the majority of this year, have been divided between the beleaguered treasurer-office general's - which is currently swamped with late staff payment issues - and full-time ANC national executive committee (NEC) members employed at Luthuli House.Jessie Duarte  Photo: Archive

Dakota Legoete, an ANC NEC member and party spokeswoman, revealed to News24 on Wednesday morning that the treasurer-general, Paul Mashatile, and full-time ANC NEC members Nomvula Mokonyane, Bathabile Dlamini, Malusi Gigaba, Sibongile Besani, and Legoete had been assigned the roles. "It was regrettable and unforeseeable that Duarte was hospitalized, but the effort must continue. There is no crisis; we in the ANC operate together and collectively. Even before to her hospitalization, Duarte collaborated with other NEC members who are now taking up the roles she left behind, ensuring continuity.

See the source image

"It is premature to talk about a temporary replacement when skilled individuals are doing the function," Legoete said. Additionally, he said that the party wished Duarte a swift recovery and a prompt return to her job. Internally, the ANC has been besieged for a fourth month by a lack of worker salaries, while seeking reflection in the aftermath of last month's local elections. Additionally, it is assessing over 800 unresolved conflicts over candidate selection in the run-up to the elections – all of which require the secretary-office general's to take a substantial role.

The ANC electoral committee, directed by former President Kgalema Motlanthe, was anticipated to complete its work on candidate disputes by the end of November, with support from the secretary-office, general's while the party's performance assessment was due to be completed by early 2022. Additionally, some party members allegedly demanded at a recent NEC meeting that the party honor its vow to provide Magashule and anybody else suspended under the "step aside rule" an audience to have their case reviewed.

See the source image

The rules provide that the NEC, national working committee, provincial executive committee (PEC), or provincial working committee (PWC) shall examine the decision to resign at least once a year or as requested by the member, office-bearer, or public representative. "The State's case is collapsing, with the former personal assistant to the suspended ANC secretary-general [Moroadi Cholota] refusing to testify. As a result, Magashule and his supporters feel he now has a strong chance of winning this case "According to a member of the NEC.

"As such, he and his supporters are insistent that his suspension should be reconsidered. The election results have also prompted some to claim that the absence of a secretary-general throughout the campaign [contributed to this]. Additionally, the fact that the party's prospects have deteriorated significantly in the Free State, Magashule's hometown, adds fuel to the fire. "Calls for his reinstatement and the removal of some NEC members, including the head of elections [Fikile Mbalula], have been mounting."

Share

Talk of a crisis in the secretary-general's office is premature - ANC | News24

Content created and supplied by: The_Inspector (via Opera News )

ANC ANC NEC Dakota Legoete Duarte Paul Mashatile

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments