Pregnancy is expected to last from 38 weeks up to 40 weeks normally. But there are exceptions in which the pregnancy can end early or later. During those weeks your belly is expected to grow week by week. For some women the size of their pregnancy belly maybe normal while for others it may be larger or smaller compared to the number of weeks of the pregnancy itself.
In this article we will look at some of the reasons why your pregnancy belly maybe smaller than expected.
1. Maternal size. If genetically the mother is smaller or underweight the belly is expected to be smaller.
2. Fetal size. Some fetus are constitutionally smaller due to their ethnic background. This should not be an area of concern unless complications arise.
3. Fetal congenital abnormalities. This may be chromosomal or structural abnormalities that restrict the growth of the fetus.
4. Fetal congenital infections. If the fetus is infected with certain infections like TB, syphilis, rubella and cytomegalovirus from the mother transferred to the baby during pregnancy.
5. Condition of the mother prior to pregnancy can also contribute. From living in high altitudes, having rental disease, anaemia, respiratory and cardiac disease to tobacco smoking and alcohol use.
6. Placental abnormalities. If the placenta infiltrated, diseased or separated less nutrients goes to the fetus restricting its growth.
7. Post term pregnancy. If you pregnancy has gone past the 40 weeks or expected date of delivery your pregnancy belly may be smaller.
Comment, like and share.
Content created and supplied by: Health2.0 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More