An off-duty police officer and three members of his family died after a fire broke out when their lights were turned back on after the load was dumped at Wesbank.
The fire that killed Sergeant David Lekhetha, 48, his wife Thakane, 38, their daughters Nneheng, 8, and Naledi, 4, occurred just hours after they celebrated Nneheng's birthday on Friday afternoon. .
Officer Mfuleni's sister, Mantsadi, says she was on her way to work when she received a call Saturday morning and ran to the house on Ringwood Street that had been destroyed by fire.
"Members of my family told me about the fire and we came right away," says a heartbroken Mantsadi.
“At that time, my brother, my wife and his two children had already died. "His other three children and his granddaughter were injured." She tells the Daily Voice that Thakane tried to save her children.
“I think she inhaled a lot of smoke trying to get the children out of her. she managed to get her 18-year-old daughter and granddaughter, her children 11 and one year old.
“Thakane was found in her room while the two deceased daughters were standing in front of her parents' room. "None of them were burned, they died from smoke inhalation."
Jermaine Carelse of the city's fire and rescue services confirmed the incident and said they were informed of the fire at 12:50 p.m. Saturday.
“Upon arriving at the place, the agents were informed that the neighbors were still in the house. firefighters searched the scene and found the bodies of a man, a woman and two children. “A teenager and a girl escaped the fire with minor burns and were taken to the hospital.
"The fire was extinguished at 1.30 am and the crime scene was turned over to SAPS." Police spokeswoman Novela Potelwa says Mfuleni police have opened an investigation.
“According to police reports, a tenant of the premises heard screams from the main house and went to investigate. “The tenant tried to access the house.
“The bodies of the policeman and his wife were found in the bedroom of his house. His two sons, aged eight and four, were found in the hallway, already dead, ”he says. "It is said that all the deceased died from smoke inhalation."
Potelwa explains that the cause of the fire is the subject of police investigations. "The Western Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Thembisile Patekile, has expressed his condolences to the family of the deceased."
Content created and supplied by: ThePublicChoice (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More