The family of the baby who's left hand fingers had to be amputated; blames the hospital for being reckless. The baby was admitted at Prince Mshiyeni Memorial hospital; following being burnt by hot water on its legs.
Though the Health department in the Province; revealed in a signed statement by a doctor; states that Alwande was admitted for burns on the legs and hands; emanating from hot water; the family says the burns were on his legs only.
The child's mother; Lungile Mgobhozi said; she wishes to know what led to her child's hand getting gangrene; when the legs where he had burn wounds are now healing.
"The hand had no burns. What happened was that they had put a drip on it; as time went on the skin began peeling from the hand and the colour changed but they kept saying the baby was fine." Said Mgobhozi.
"They would tell me to apply Vaseline on it and that it will heal. They said it was caused by an adrenaline injection they administered on the child." Said Mgobhozi.
As time went on she requested a temporary discharge from hospital and took the child to a private doctor. The doctor told her that this was caused by a drip that t was inserted incorrectly.
She revealed that; they had told her that the child was going to be transferred to Inkosi Albert Luthuli hospital. On Monday they turned around and said there were no beds there so the child will continue to be treated at Prince Mshiyeni hospital.
The spokesperson for the department of health; Ntokozo Maphisa said; usually the health department does not talk openly about such matters; but what is being said regarding this issue is not true.
"In a sworn statement written by a qualified doctor working in ICU; the patient also had burn wounds on their hands." Said Maphisa.
"It has also been revealed that; everything possible was done to help the patient using top notch resources." Said Maphisa.
He said health officials are sometimes forced to take drastic steps; which may not be easy to understand to a layman person who is not trained to be a health official.
He said what is important is to inform the relatives or guardians of the patient about the steps to be taken; which he said was done. He urged the parent of the child to talk to hospital management to get clarity.
Though the hospital says this; the family sent pictures to the local newspaper (which the paper has on record) showing the child with bandages on their legs and a drip on the hand that was eventually amputated.
The picture is from when the child was first admitted for the burn wound on the legs.
Please like; share; comment and follow me for more news.
Content created and supplied by: TingTong1105 (via Opera News )