Malva pudding is ubiquitous these days. Many restaurants offer it, especially those aiming to impress foreign guests and it's a supermarket ready-meal standard.
The Woolworths version is good. Pick n Pay does one. So does Checkers.
Maggie Pepler's Malva Pudding.
Yield - this recipe serves 6 people.
For the sponge:
• 1 Cup flour, 125g
• 1 Tbs bicarbonate of soda
• 1 Cup sugar 250g
• 1 Tbs apricot jam
• 1Tbs vinegar
• 1 Tbs melted butter
• 1 Cup milk 250ml
For the sauce:
• 1/2 Cup cream 125ml
• 1/2 Cup milk 125ml
• 1 Cup sugar 250g
• 1/2 Cup hot water 125ml
• 1/2 Cup butter 125g
1. Set the oven at 180°C
2. Grease, with butter, an ovenproof glass or porcelain container approximately 30CM x 20CM x 5CM. Do not use an aluminum, enamel or any container.
3. Cut a piece of aluminum foil to cover it while the pudding is in the oven and grease it well with butter on one side.
4. Sift the flour and bicarbonate into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
5. In another bowl beat the egg very well and add the remaining ingredients [excluding those for the sauce] one by one, beating well between each addition.
6. Using a spoon beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, cover with the foil, greased side down and bake for 45-minutes in the present oven until well risen and brown and for a further 5-minutes without the foil if not sufficiently brown. If not sufficiently baked the dessert will not take up the sauce making it stodgy inside.
8. When the pudding is almost done, heat the ingredients for the sauce, ensuring that you melt all the sugar and butter.
9. When the pudding is done, remove from the oven, take off the foil and pour over the sauce. The pudding will take up all the sauce.
10. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature, though warm is best, with a little thin cream or vanilla custard.
Content created and supplied by: _Heavenly (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More