04 December 2021
Pretoria- With the number of cases increasing severely and Cyril Ramaphosa expected to address the nation this coming Sunday, there has been a court case opened in a bid to halt another liquor ban.
As expected, each time cases rise, alcohol always gets banned when tough restrictions are imposed.
Last year, alcohol got banned three times and this year it was only once when the third wave was detected in June.
The alcohol associations and companies trading with alcohol have alwsys questioned the logic behind banning of alcohol. They've asked government to provide concrete evidence on how does the alcohol ban contribute to the issue of high cases.
Government always says that the hospitals, trauma units are over crowded with patients being admitted due to accidents caused by alcohol as a result, hospitals run out of beds to accomodate Covid 19 patients.
This is for the reason that the Beer Association of SA decided to launch a court application seeking to set aside alcohol bans imposed during the lockdown.
The Beer Association of SA has launched a court application seeking to declare alcohol bans imposed since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic irrational and invalid, and have them set aside.
Basa said the application before the high court in Pretoria focusses on decisions by the minister of cooperative governance and traditional affairs (COGTA) , Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma to enforce alcohol bans in July and December last year, June 2021 and the continued restrictions of the liqour trade in and during July 2021.
BASA said that R42,2 billion was lost in retail sales and the loss to GDP was R60,7 billion. Total excise income tax lost was R60,7 billion with just over 233,000 jobs put a risk.
"By January 11, 30% of local breweries were forced to shut their doors permanently and 165,000 people lost their jobs.
"Another alcohol ban over the coming festive season, a time when we expect some recovery for the tourism and hospitality sector, will serve as the final nail in the coffin for thousands of businesses/citizens who barely survived the previous bans.”
Minister of Health, Joe Phaahla said that the government will consider increasing the restrictions as the number of cases rise and people are not adhering to the regulations.
Content created and supplied by: Mzansicelebritynews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More