Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society

 

Crime Justice

 

Murder

LATEST UPDATES:More delays on the cards as Meyiwa case postponed until next year

https://ewn.co.za/2021/10/26/7-years-after-senzo-meyiwa-s-murder-afriforum-says-mastermind-still-not-caught/amp


More delays on the cards as Meyiwa case postponed until next year

Tuesday, 26 October marks the seventh anniversary of the day when a gang of men stormed into the house of Kelly Khumalo’s mother in Vosloorus and shot and killed Senzo Meyiwa. Senzo was Kelly’s lover and the father of her second child.

The motive at the time was alleged to be a robbery. 

The Meyiwa family never accepted the coincidence that one of the most famous Bafana Bafana football players of all time happened to be shot in a random robbery. 

Sam Meyiwa, Senzo’s father died in 2019, hoping for justice for his son. It is said that he died of a broken heart, bitter that so many barriers had been placed in the way of finding Senzo’s killers.

To this day, the family believes that the mastermind behind the killing has not been charged.

Over the weekend, Senzo Meyiwa’s brother, Sfiso who is acting as family spokesperson, said the family were grateful that the case had finally come to court. He said they were hoping for a quick resolution of the case. 

It is clear that this isn’t going to happen.

The unimpressed Meyiwa family has resorted to AfriForum Advocate Gerrie Nel to assist with the private prosecution as they have lost faith in the justice system.

One of the men standing trial for the murder of Senzo Meyiwa, faces two further charges of attempted murder.

S’Tembu Sibiya appeared in Pretoria High Court on Monday alongside Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Ziphozonke Maphisa, and Sifisokuhle Sifiso Nkani Ntuli for Meyiwa’s brutal murder.

During the men’s appearance, it was revealed that Sibiya stands accused of shooting a woman nine times at the Vosloorus hostel.

Their trial date has been set for 11 to 20 April 2022. 

Prosecutor, advocate George Baloyi, said the State had met with all the defence lawyers, on 8 October to reach certain agreements.

Baloyi said they had agreed to hand over statements from nine witnesses that had been withheld for security reasons, and that they would be handing them over six weeks before the trial date.

Image source: @MayiselaLucky


Your thoughts are highly recommended in the comments section below

Please share and follow for more

Content created and supplied by: TEXASbois (via Opera News )

Kelly Meyiwa Senzo

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments