A man from Lesotho who broke into South Africa illegally and raped three children and a young woman will spend the rest of his life in jail. On Friday, the National Prosecuting Authority said that Tshepo Masaleng, who is 27 years old, was given a sentence in the Sebokeng magistrate's court.
Between 2016 and 2018, he attacked his victims.
"On April 29, 2016, a girl who was 18 was walking from school to Sebokeng to see her aunt when she met Masaleng. He gave a fake name when he met the complainant and asked her out on a date. When she said no, he pointed what looked like a gun at her and forced her into an old building, where he raped her. He went with her to where she was going after the rape and told her not to tell anyone. She told her older male cousin what happened when she got to her aunt's house. Then he took her to the police station to file a report," said Lumka Mahanjana of the NPA.
"On December 15, 2018, three girls ages 13, 14, and 16 were on their way to church in the evening when they met Masaleng. He asked them where they were going, and when one of the girls tried to run, he told them he had a weapon they couldn't outrun. He told them to follow him until they got to an empty building near Thabong Mall. He told them to take off their clothes and turn their backs to the wall, and then he raped them one by one. He told them to stop walking alone at night when he was done. On their way to church, they ran into a woman and told her what had happened. The woman called the church where the kids were going and spoke to the pastor. "At church, the pastor called the police, and the police took them to the station for medical checks," Mahanjana said.
In December 2021, one of his victims saw him at Thabong Mall while she was with her mother. This put an end to his reign of terror.
"His mother confronted him, and when people in the neighborhood saw what happened, they caught him and called the police. Since his arrest, when the state successfully fought against bail, he has been in jail. "DNA evidence linked him to the crimes, but Masaleng pleaded not guilty to the charges against him," Mahanjana said.
The four people who were hurt by him gave evidence against him, and one of them said that she had been suicidal after the incident. "Another one said she was proud of being a virgin, but it was taken from her against her will," Mahanjana said. Masaleng was found guilty of raping and kidnapping after a strong case was made against him. He was given two life sentences and another 25 years in prison. His name was put on the national list of sexual offenders, and he was told he couldn't own a gun.
Content created and supplied by: The_Returnor (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More