National Sleep Foundation and a multi-disciplinary expert panel recommend appropriate sleep durations for most age groups. We all need to have a good sleep in order to improve our sleep health . Sleep schedules are all within a health range for individuals . Healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night. Infants, toddlers and teenagers need more sleep to enhance their growth and development. Adults who are above 65 years of age should sleep for 7 to 8 hours per night.
Sleep powers the mind, restores the body and it fortifies virtually every system in the body. It is important for everyone to know the amount of sleep needed. Sleeping an hour more or less than the general range my be acceptable based on an individuals circumstance.
We all need to decide the amount of sleep we need by considering our overall health, daily activities and a sleep pattern. Budget for the hours of sleep to avoid work and social hours being disrupted. Do not cut your sleep short because you need to be at you best in terms of physical and mental.
Improve your sleep hygiene by making sure your bedroom gives you a comfortable atmosphere to rest. Weekend or not,stick to the sleep schedule. Have a comfortable mattress,pillows and bedding. Optimise light and noise before going to sleep as well as not using electronic devices for half an hour before going to bed. Caffeine and alcohol should be taken 6 to 8 hours before sleeping.
1. New born should sleep for 11 to 13 hours and not less than 11 hours.
2. 0 to 3 months are recommended to sleep for 14 to 17 hours ,can also sleep for 18 to 19 hours but not more than 19 hours.
3. Infants should sleep for 10 to 11 hours but not less than 11 hours.
4. 4 to 11 months are recommended to sleep for 12 to 15 hours but can even sleep for 16 to 18 hours but not for more than 18 hours.
5. Toddlers should sleep for 9 to 10 hours and not less than 9 hours.
6. 1 to 2 years are recommended to sleep for 11 to 14 hours but can sleep for 15 to 16 hours but not more than 16 hours.
7. Pre-schoolers have to sleep for 8 to 9 hours but not less than 8 hours.
8. 3 to 5 years are recommended to sleep for 10 to 13 hours ,can sleep for 14 hours and not for more than 14 hours.
9. School children should always sleep for 7 to 8 hours and never below 7 hours.
10. 6 to 13 years are recommended to sleep for 9 to 11 hours, 12 hours is also appropriate but they should never sleep for more than 12 hours.
11. Teenagers should sleep for 7 hours and not less than 7 hours.
12. 14 to 17 years are recommended to sleep for 8 to 10 hours but can go as far as 11 hours and can should not sleep for more than 11 hours.
13. It is appropriate for young adults to sleep for 6 hours and not less than 6 hours.
14. 18 to 25 years are recommended to sleep for 7 to 9 hours,10 to 11 hours is also acceptable but not for more than 11 hours.
15. Adults tend to sleep for 6 hours and not less than 6 hours.
16. 26 to 64 years are recommended to sleep for 7 to 9 hours but can also sleep for 10 hours and not for more than 10 hours .
17. Older adults should sleep for 5 to 6 hours but not less than 5 hours.
18. 65 years and older sleep for 7 to 8 years and they are allowed to sleep for 9 hours but not for more than 9 hours.
Too much sleep can increase the risk of diabetes, stroke,death,increased weight gain,impaired fertility,increased pain and heart disease.
Content created and supplied by: Lioziqi (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More