You have must likely be heard of white, brown and wild rice varieties, however black rice is often overlooked in most recipes and individual’s diets. However, black rice is starting to grow in popularity for its tremendous health benefits. It gets its distinct color due to a potent antioxidant compound known as anthocyanins.
Health benefits of eating black rice:
1. Black rice is packed with many nutrients and healthy compounds. It is a remarkable source of manganese, vitamin E, iron and dietary fiber. As well, black rice is packed with antioxidants, low in fat and moderate in protein.
2. Black rice is also an antioxidant powerhouse. In fact, black rice contains one of the highest levels of anthocyanins, an effective antioxidant, when compared to some other foods. As well, black rice contains good levels of vitamin E, an antioxidant that can provide numerous health benefits for our bodies. These high levels of antioxidants can assist to lessen the risk of certain chronic diseases and illness.
3. It can help to reduce the risk of developing heart disease
Regular consumption of black rice can assist to enhance cholesterol levels as well as decrease triglycerides in the body. Black rice can assist to significantly lower “bad” LDL cholesterol while significantly improving “good” HDL cholesterol. Its high levels of effective antioxidants are also useful in this regard.
4. To support overall eye health
This is because it contains excessive amounts of eye health carotenoids, known as lutein and zeaxanthin, protecting our eyes from free radical damage.
5. Eating black rice may additionally help benefit those people with diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes, since it can assist to lower blood sugar levels. This is attributed to its excessive levels of anthocyanins, as well as good levels of fiber which can lessen inflicting blood sugar spikes.
Content created and supplied by: Mzimandekc (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More