Opera News

Opera News App

Know More About The Corona Vaccine That South Africa Received From India

IndomitableSoul
By IndomitableSoul | self meida writer
Published 28 days ago - 1252 views

Photo credit: Google

The Corona Virus vaccine arrived in South Africa on the 1st of February 2021 from India. Due to its arrival, there has been a lot of talk, and conspiracy theories about the vaccine. This article aims to provide clarity around the facts, proven facts about the Corona vaccine that South Africa has received. 

Photo credit: Business Tech


Why has scientists where able to develop a vaccine so quickly?

The reason why the corona virus vaccine was developed so quickly is due to the fact that there was of decades of previous research that goes into finding out the vaccine of other viruses that are related or similar to the Corona Virus. The scientists used the research they found on similar viruses like Ebola, SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome), MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome) and malaria in order to develop the vaccine. 

Photo credit: Google


The type of vaccine that South Africa is getting?

South Africa has received the vaccine from India called the: Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine which is manufactured by the Serum Institute of India, the biggest vaccine manufacturer in the world. The vaccine is clinically known as Covishield, and is made from the weakened version of a common cold that the Chimpanzees gets. The vaccine is then modified in order to resemble corona virus, however this was done in a controlled manner so that it does not cause any illnesses. 

So, when a person is injected with the vaccine, the vaccine will quickly make the immune system to start building antibodies, and make it to attack any possible corona virus infections. 

Photo credit: Google


How is this AstraZeneca effective in preventing corona?

In terms of the international clinical trials, the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine indicated that when people were given a half dose of the vaccine and then a full dose, the effectiveness in preventing the contacting the virus is increased by 90%. Meaning that the chances of a person contacting corona after a person has been injected with the vaccine narrows to 10%.

Photo credit: Google


Can a person get infected with Corona after being vaccinated?

Yes, a person can get infected with Corona even after being immunized. The vaccine lowers the chance of being infected with Corona after the person has been in contact with corona. Even after receiving the vaccine, a person still has to keep on wearing their masks, washing hands with soap, and sanitize to further protect themselves from getting infected from the corona virus. 

Photo credit: Google


So, when does South Africa start immunizing South Africans?

After the arrival of South Africa’s first batch of the corona vaccine from India in 1st February 2021, the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize said in a press briefing that the department of health will start making plans to administer the vaccination after 14 days, and after the vaccine has been checked by the University of Free State if whether the vaccine is suitable for people to consume. 

Source || My broadband

Link: https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/464402/pictures-south-africas-first-covid-19-vaccines-from-india-are-on-the-way/

Source || Nature

Link: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03626-1

Remember to share, and like the article. 

Content created and supplied by: IndomitableSoul (via Opera News )

Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform

YOU MAY LIKE

Celebrities that are no longer friends with Somizi

2 hours ago

178 🔥

Celebrities that are no longer friends with Somizi

Finally get to meet EFF’s Floyd Shivambu’s beautiful wife?

2 hours ago

713 🔥

Finally get to meet EFF’s Floyd Shivambu’s beautiful wife?

DA accuses the ANC and EFF of race baiting over eNCA reporter Lindsey Dentlinger mask incident

2 hours ago

14 🔥

DA accuses the ANC and EFF of race baiting over eNCA reporter Lindsey Dentlinger mask incident

Bheki Cele might be hard but he is in love, Meet his beautiful wife?

2 hours ago

84 🔥

Bheki Cele might be hard but he is in love, Meet his beautiful wife?

Zuma is surely boss, See why he is now trending again?

2 hours ago

65 🔥

Zuma is surely boss, See why he is now trending again?

"Black people fell for the Zuma must fall and now we have a clueless President" says Khandani Msibi

2 hours ago

268 🔥

Thuli Madonsela causes commotion with her pictures wearing tight pants.

2 hours ago

102 🔥

Thuli Madonsela causes commotion with her pictures wearing tight pants.

'South Africa Is Not For Africa And It Can Never Be For Africa' Twitter Slams Julius Malema And EFF

2 hours ago

77 🔥

'South Africa Is Not For Africa And It Can Never Be For Africa' Twitter Slams Julius Malema And EFF

Get to Meet the woman behind Blade Nzimande’s smiles, See this?

2 hours ago

25 🔥

Get to Meet the woman behind Blade Nzimande’s smiles, See this?

"President Jacob Zuma doesn't seem happy about this visit" fans notice something strange.

3 hours ago

125 🔥

COMMENTS

View all comments