Sign in
Download Opera News App

Health

 

Health Living

 

Disease prevention and treatment

How to treat bad breath all the way from the stomach by following these good tips

According to the health department, gum disease is the most common ailment after the common cold, with nearly 90 percent of South Africans suffering from it at some point.

There are a variety of treatments on the market that claim to help you get rid of halitosis, sometimes known as foul breath. What you may not realize is that these solutions may or may not work because halitosis can be caused by a variety of factors, including your everyday habits or a medical condition.

Causes

According to Jan Zonnestein and Associates in the Western Cape, foul breath is a relatively prevalent problem with a variety of causes.

Infections of the throat, nose, or lungs, sinusitis, bronchitis, diabetes, or liver and kidney disorders are among medical diseases that produce bad breath.

Foods like coffee, garlic, and onions can also induce halitosis. Tobacco also causes foul breath in its own right. The only way out is to quit smoking. Smoking not only makes your breath smell bad, but it also stains your teeth, causes loss of taste, and irritates your gums.

Smokers are more prone to acquire gum disease and are at a higher risk of acquiring mouth cancer, lung cancer, and heart disease.

Ways to treat bad breath

1. Use fluoride toothpaste twice a day to brush your teeth and gums for two minutes. Remember to brush your teeth and clean your tongue.

2. Cut back on sugary drinks and other foods

3. Brushing only cleans about 60 percent of your teeth's surface; flossing cleans the remaining 40 percent. You can also purchase a variety of items to clean the spaces between your teeth.

4. Make use of mouthwash. Some of them contain antibacterial chemicals that can destroy microorganisms that cause bad breath. If your foul breath persists, see your dentist or hygienist to ensure that the mouthwash isn't disguising a more significant underlying issue.

5. Chewing sugar-free gum encourages saliva production and keeps your mouth from drying up. Bad breath can be caused by a dry mouth.

Source: https://www.news24.com/drum/advice/health/do-you-have-bad-breath-heres-some-good-news-20210927

Content created and supplied by: Owl24/7 (via Opera News )

Jan Zonnestein and Associates South Africans Western Cape

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments