Tipsy Tart or Cape Brandy Tart or dadelpoeding in Afrikaans - is a traditional South African dessert that is a great alternative to a Christmas pudding. Why? It’s pretty quick and easy to make and the sauce is boozy which is always a win. It's worth mentioning that brandy is a very much-loved liquor in South Africa. It is made from distilling wine. What makes South African brandy so good is that it is made in the same manner as French cognac. Considering our rich history, this makes sense.Disclaimer - a tipsy tart is not a tart in the traditional sense of the term. There is no pastry within this dessert. It is similar to a Malva Pudding in that it consists of a sponge base which is then smothered in a sauce while still warm. The main difference being that this tart or pudding is flavoured with dates and can contain nuts.
125g Dates, pitted and chopped
5ml Baking Soda
125ml Boiling Water
125ml Castor Sugar
5ml Baking Powder
125ml Pecans or Walnuts, chopped
125ml Brown Sugar
5ml Vanilla Essence
1. Grease and prepare a tart pan.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C.
3. Put dates in a heatproof bowl, sprinkle with the baking soda and cover with the boiling water for 5 minutes.
4. Beat the butter, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy.
5. Sift together the remaining dry ingredients.
6. Add the dry ingredients and date mixture to the butter mixture and fold through until combined.
7. Stir through the nuts.
8. Pour into baking dish and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Poke holes all over the tart with a toothpick.
1. In the last 6 minutes of the tart baking, dissolve the brown sugar in the water on low heat.
2. Bring the sugar-water mixture to the boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
3. Add the vanilla, butter and brandy. Pour Syrup over the warm tart and allow to cool before serving.
4. Serve topped with cream, custard or ice-cream.
Content created and supplied by: PhoenixTheWriter (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More