Takeaways and food delivery services are convenient for when you are not in the mood to cook, or for when you want a break from the regular meal schedule. With that being said, they can be very expensive and are known for being unhealthy – especially when it comes to fried and fatty foods. You may think that you can only get delicious delights from fast food restaurant(s), but making them at home is easier than you think (and is, more often than not, tastier and slightly healthier). Even though making this yourself can be tedious, your body (and taste buds) will thank you. The benefits of making your favourite takeaway dishes at home include:
· Being able to control what goes into your food
· Having many alternative and healthy cooking methods – i.e. baking/grilling instead of frying
· Experiencing a new way of enjoying this dish
Without further ado, here is the recipe for chicken nuggets that will rival McDonald’s (and other places that make chicken nuggets/strips/pops). They are so delicious and flavourful that they do not even need a dipping sauce!
For 16-18 nuggets you will need:
· 2 chicken breasts
· 1 egg
· Nando’s XX Hot peri-peri sauce (1 tbsp)
· Knorr Spare Rib Marinade (1 tbsp)
· Barbecue sauce (1 tbsp)
· Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp)
· Cayenne pepper (½ tsp for the egg mixture and 1 tbsp for the flour mixture)
· ¼ tsp of salt (for the flour mixture)
· Ina Paarman’s Garlic and Herb seasoning (1 tbsp; for the flour mixture)
· Chicken Spice (1 tbsp; for the flour mixture)
· Freshly ground black pepper (¼ tsp for the egg mixture and ½ tsp for the flour mixture)
· Robertson’s mixed herbs (1 tbsp; for the flour mixture)
· Flour (1 cup)
· 4 tbsp (+2 if necessary) cooking oil for frying
1. Crack your egg into a small bowl and whisk.
2. Add the sauces, cayenne pepper and freshly ground black pepper and mix until well combined.
3. On a shallow bowl/plate, mix flour and the various seasonings.
4. To prepare your chicken breasts: Cut them in half from the side. See picture below for what they should look like.
5. Slice them lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips/nuggets.
6. Put them on a clean plate.
7. You should have a plate of chicken breasts that have been cut into nuggets, a plate/bowl of the flour mixture and a bowl of the egg mixture.
8. Coat the chicken breast pieces in the flour very well.
9. Coat the floured chicken breast pieces – one by one – in the egg mixture. Allow any excess egg to run off the meat.
10. Coat the chicken in the flour again.
11. In a shallow frying pan filled with 4 tablespoons of cooking oil, cook the nuggets at medium heat. Ideally, cook them for 5 minutes on each side. Be sure to adhere to this time frame (or even fry them for 6 or 7 minutes in each side, being careful to not burn them) and not remove them prematurely, or you will risk them being underdone. While cooking the nuggets, you may need to add 2 extra tablespoons of cooking oil.
12. If you would like to deep fry your nuggets, do so on high heat for 5-7 minutes or until they are golden brown and floating on the surface of the oil. The healthier option is to shallow-fry them (as instructed) or even bake them (at 180˚C for about 15-20 minutes – turning them halfway through – until golden brown).
13. Remove from the pan and arrange them on a plate. Take the largest nugget and break it in half. If you can see that it is not pink in the middle, your nuggets are ready.
14. Serve hot, either on their own or as part of a meal. With all the seasoning you have used, there is no need for a dipping sauce.
Content created and supplied by: langa29.94 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More