The wine industry's attempt to reverse the lockdown liquor bans was dismissed by the court.
Vinpro is upset that their legal appeal to nationwide liquor prohibitions was unsuccessful. Photo taken from the internet.
Vinpro has expressed its disappointment with the Western Cape High Court's decision on Tuesday to deny Vinpro's appeal against the liquor bans.
When the liquor prohibition was imposed in January, the non-profit, which represents over 2,600 South African wine growers, cellars, and industry stakeholders, filed its application. Its application, however, was only heard in August.
Vinpro said in its challenge that the national government was the wrong level of government to deal with decisions on the selling of liquor during a disaster. The choice should be made by the provincial governments, according to the report.
The introduction of the statewide bans, according to Vinpro, was too broad, unneeded, and unwarranted.
The high court ruled on Tuesday that Vinpro's application was irrelevant because the regulations had changed since then. The court also decided that each party should bear its own legal expenses.
"The verdict has left us tremendously dissatisfied," says Rico Basson, Vinpro's MD.
He claimed that the government's direct approach, refusal to consult, and lack of transparency about the empirical evidence used in decision-making had irreversibly harmed the wine and tourism industries.
"Not only has the [wine] industry lost more than R10 billion in sales revenue, but it has also lost major jobs and suffered international reputational damage." Wine-related enterprises can only recover and rebuild if an enabling climate for long-term growth is created.
Vinpro expressed worry that the court had not offered clarity on key problems raised by Vinpro, particularly in regard to the government's direct approach to lockdowns, rather than an agile, provincial-based strategy.
Vinpro stated that if it is judged necessary, it will approach the court again on an urgent basis.
Court dismisses wine industry's bid to overturn lockdown liquor bans https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2021-12-07-court-dismisses-wine-industrys-bid-to-overturn-lockdown-liquor-bans/ via @TimesLIVE
Content created and supplied by: MzansiMgozi (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More